Welcome! This online journal will share my news of new paintings and upcoming exhibits, tips and notes with friends, collectors and other artists. Please visit often and enjoy!

Copyright notice: Photos and artwork images herein are property of the artist; no reproductions allowed without written consent.

Coming soon to this page:

- Latest sketches

Sunday, February 2, 2014

Another from the Sketch Pad


Here is another study done without any pencil drawing on my 9x12 sketch pad. Using only planning marks made with a brush is very different from painting over a full sketch; it is not unlike painting in oils. I had used this approach before, but only in plein air and not in a series, as an exercise. I have been enjoying the challenge this represents--I have to pay much more attention to the placement of shapes of color, rather than the shapes of objects in the scene. Precision suffers, but there is a more painterly feel to it. (The photo is not great--taken with my iphone)

No comments:

Post a Comment