- John emphasizes a value plan, but unlike other instructors who used this as a device to maximize contrast in center of interest, John stressed the way to use values to separate the planes of the space and create depth.
- John demonstrated different ways of reserving whites, and of rescuing light areas, and shared his recipes for warm and cool grays and darks.
- We learned the use of a mouth atomizer to adjust value and temperature in our paintings.
- We also learned practical techniques for creating soft and hard edged reflections.
- One of the most important takeaways in my view was the importance of related middle values.
In my next post I will include more notes and a photo of my painting from the workshop.