Welcome! This online journal will share my news of new paintings and upcoming exhibits, tips and notes with friends, collectors and other artists. Please visit often and enjoy!

Copyright notice: Photos and artwork images herein are property of the artist; no reproductions allowed without written consent.

Coming soon to this page:

- Latest sketches

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Afternoon Shadows, or a little plein air magic...

Afternoon Shadows, watercolor, 10x14

The International Watermedia XVI Show, of the Pikes Peak Watercolor Society, opens this Saturday, August 15, in Pueblo. One of the paintings on show will be my own "Afternoon Shadows."

This painting is a good example of how plein air magic happens. February 15th was a sunny, cold day, my wife and I had learned just the day before that we were expecting our first child, and while she went for a walk on a trail with her best friend, I went to this spot to paint. Even though the afternoon was very cold, I set out on this painting as a meditation, and the wonder and happiness I was feeling made it a lot warmer than the scene actually was.

At the end of an hour and a half I spent on site, the shadows of the trees had reached me and I was shivering, with my hands so cold I had difficulty releasing the bulldog clips from my board. I ended up capturing more of an inner image than the landscape before me, including my depiction of my wife Christina and her friend Sarah, walking shoulder to shoulder, speaking of motherhood and good things to come...

To illustrate the difference, I'm also including here the photo I took onsite with my cell phone.

The opening reception for the International Watermedia XVI show is at 6pm this Saturday, at the Sangre de Cristo Arts Center, 210 North Santa Fe Avenue, Pueblo; and the exhibit lasts until October 17th.

2 comments:

  1. What can I say? The painting is very lovely (I saved it for my execising, hope it is OK with you), but the text is so right and so well explaining the power of painting, its unity with our life situations.
    Please post the photos from the show, I am sure you will be success.

    ReplyDelete